Are you unsatisfied with your penis? Do you wish it was bigger? Well, first things first, your penis is awesome just the way it is and the media’s tendency to over-hype larger penises (bigger isn’t always better, folks) is largely to blame for making folks think their member isn’t magnificent.
Now that that’s out of the way, if you think you have an actual medical issue (pain, changes in appearance, erectile dysfunction, etc.) regarding your penis, please consult your doctor. If it’s a boost other than male enhancement you’re after then let’s talk about penis stretching!
We’ll go over what it is, how it works, what the research tells us, and how to stay safe while stretching!
What is penis stretching?
Penis stretching involves stretching the penis, either manually or with a device. The intention is often to increase its length or girth. There is some evidence supporting the use of stretching to increase penis size but it’s worth noting that the results are typically minimal and can be temporary.
Penis stretching is a short term solution but strategies have been rumored to cause long term penis growth. Maybe you’ve heard some of these rumors yourself. Have you ever wondered: “does your penis get bigger when you lose weight?”, “what foods make your penis bigger?”, “does apple juice make your penis bigger?”, “does masturbating make your penis bigger?”, “does testosterone make your penis bigger?” If any of these questions have even crossed your mind, you’re not the only one. We have also wondered which short-term fixes could result in a bigger penis, like penis stretching.
How does penis stretching work?
Before we get started, please remember that much of the evidence around penis stretching is anecdotal. With that in mind there are two ways to engage in penis stretching: manual stretching exercises and the use of stretching devices,
Manual stretching exercises require no special equipment as they involve using the hand to massage the tissues along the length of the penis with the goal of stretching the skin and creating “micro-tears” in the tissue. Then as the penis heals from those tears it can appear engorged, thus making it look longer.
Some exercises such as jelqing (a technique we’ll talk about in a minute) involve tissue massage and claim to increase penis girth.
Consistency is key to maintaining either of these purported effects.
Although researchers have studied penile extension devices, it’s still unclear how well they might work.
Take the penis pump, for example. A penis pump is a cylinder-shaped, air-filled chamber that you attach to your pelvic area. They’re known to produce an immediate erection. Some anecdotes also claim that consistent use can eventually increase your penis length.
Penile traction devices are also popular. The device pulls on your penis to modify its curvature. Traction devices have been used to treat Peyronie’s disease, but more research is needed to determine how effective they really are.
What the research says
Research on penis stretching techniques is limited. None of the studies that have been done point to any one technique as an effective way to permanently lengthen the penis or cause penis enlargement. However, a temporary increase in penile size may be possible.
One 2010 review in which participants spent four months using one kind of stretching device daily, reported that participants gained 1.7 centimeters — about 2/3 of an inch — in length and saw no change in girth.
How to stretch safely
There’s generally no harm in trying a stretching penis exercise. They may help you feel more comfortable with your penis size and appearance.
The following are based on anecdotal reports. Remember, research on penis stretching techniques is limited. Always talk to a doctor or seek medical advice before trying a new technique.
Manual stretching exercises involve using your hand to massage the tissues along the length of your penis. This is intended to stretch the skin and create “micro-tears” in the tissue. The tissues may appear engorged as they heal, making the penis look longer.
Before you do any manual stretching:
- Only do these exercises with a flaccid penis.
- Stop if the physical exercise causes pain or discomfort.
- Sit or stand against a wall or table while doing them.
- Only do these exercises once or twice a day to avoid injury.
- Seek medical advice if you want to hold these exercises longer or do them more frequently.
To manually stretch your penis:
- Grip the head of the penis.
- Gently pull the penis upward, stretching it out for about 10 seconds.
- Gently pull the penis to the left for another 10 seconds, then to the right.
- Repeat these steps once or twice a day for about 5 minutes, as long as no discomfort occurs.
Or try this:
- Grip the head of the penis.
- Gently pull the penis upward.
- Press on the area around the base of the penis at the same time.
- Hold this position for about 10 seconds.
- Repeat these steps with the penis gently pulled to the left, applying pressure to the base of the penis on the right side.
- Repeat these steps with the penis gently pulled to the right, applying pressure to the base of the penis on the left side.
- Repeat this penis enlargement exercise once a day for up to 2 minutes.
To “jelq” your penis:
- Put the index finger and thumb in an O shape.
- Place the O-shaped gesture at the base of the penis.
- Make the O smaller until you put mild pressure on your penis shaft.
- Slowly move your finger and thumb toward the head of your penis until you reach the tip. (Reduce the pressure if you experience pain or discomfort.)
- Repeat this once per day for about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your comfort level. Make sure to check in with your body and how this exercise feels so you don’t overdo it.
Stretching with a device
There are several devices you can employ for penis stretching. Some researchers have studied devices designed for penile extension but there is not clear evidence of their effectiveness.
One type of stretching device is the penis pump, a cylinder-shaped, air-filled chamber that you attach to your pelvic area. These are known for their ability to produce an immediate erection and, anecdotally, are said to eventually increase penis length with consistent use.
Another popular option is penile traction devices. These devices pull on the penis to modify its curvature. They have been used to treat connective tissue disorders of the penis like Peyronie’s disease, but more research is needed to determine their efficacy.
Using a Penis Pump
1. Be sure to carefully read all instructions that come with your pump
2. Prior to placing your penis inside the cylinder, check the air release valve to ensure you know how to properly disengage the suction.
3. Please your penis inside the cylinder. A little bit of water-based lubricant can help create a better air-tight seal.
4. Use the pump to slowly pull the air out of the internal cylinder chamber. This will pull blood to the penis, causing an erection.
5. Use the air release valve to safely remove the cylinder from your erect penis.
6. Next, place a cock ring or clamp onto the base of your penis – most penis pumps come with these. Using a cock ring can help maintain your erection for up to 20 minutes, at which point you should remove it. Sex and masturbation are both safe to engage in while wearing the ring or clamp. Please note that included cock rings or clamps attached to your penis can help maintain an erect penis for up to 20 minutes.
7. After no more than 20 minutes, remove the ring/clamp.
Using a Traction Device
1. Be sure to carefully read all of the instructions that come with your device.
2. Carefully put the penis into the device’s base end.
3. Secure the head and shaft of the penis.
4. Slowly pull the penis outward. If you experience any pain or discomfort, stop pulling immediately.
5. Depending on the traction device model, you may be able to keep the penis stretched position for 4 to 6 hours per day, but please refer to the instructions and your doctor to ensure proper use. Pay attention as well to your body’s responses to gauge the appropriate time of usage for you.
Potential risks and complications
As with any body part, handling the penis roughly could hurt it. As the penis is a bit more sensitive than, say, the arm, so you want to be extra careful with it as to avoid tissue tears or damage to the ligaments that keep the penis connected to the rest of the body. These injuries would be painful and could possibly make you unable to get or maintain erections.
With a traction device, you should consult with a doctor in regard to how long to wear it. Exceeding a doctor’s recommended wear time can injure the penis and affect its ability to function.
When using a pump, be sure to not let the blood stay in the penis in excess of 20 minutes. Maintaining an erection for too long can cause permanent penile damage.
Other potential side effects of using a stretching device include:
- bruising or discoloration
- red spots on the penis shaft
- vein rupture
Consult a doctor if you experience any of these symptoms for more than a couple of days or if they seem severe. As mentioned before, please speak to your doctor if you have questions or concerns about using one of these penis enhancement devices.
Seek medical attention immediately if you experience:
- major bruising
- abrupt, painful loss of erection
While penis stretching may not deliver a lasting penile size increase, the act itself can help you feel more connected and comfortable with your body. As a bonus, with regular stretching over time you might eventually see a change in appearance or performance.
As always, stay safe by following the directions that come with any products you use and stick to any guidelines provided by your doctor. Remember that poorly executed penile stretching can do permanent damage including injury and/or erectile dysfunction. If you ever experience discomfort or pain from stretching, seek immediate medical attention.
If you are curious about penis pumps or traction devices, PinkCherry’s got a huge selection to choose from! Check it out!!